Communication -Using neural pathways and the three brains.
This article examines communication relating to building relationships and moving a person up the hierarchy of communication. In the Cognitive Principle Matrix there are five levels of communication:
Relationship communication mainly is based on two variables, namely focus and awareness. The two variables can be processed using different neural pathways and can be processed by the three brains, namely, the head, heart and gut brains.
- Definitions: Focus & Awareness.
Focus: Centre of interest or activity, focal point.
Awareness: Knowledge or perception of a situation or fact, consciousness.
- Neural pathways: Conscious mind [TPN] & Subconscious Mind [DMN]
- TPN [Task positive network]- Positive or negative
- TPN - Neutral
- DMN - [Default mode network] -Positive or negative
- DMN - Creative mode
- DMN- Procedural [habits] -Positive or negative
- Communication is between on Self and Others.
Level 1- Argument
- Focus is on Self [I win] and Others [You loose] and it is personal.
- Awareness is either absent or on Self [am I winning?]
- Mainly uses DMN -Procedural in negative mode or TPN in negative mode.
- The problem arises in the gut brain. Firstly, the lack of focus is an impulse control problem when the argument deteriorates into abuse, but also an awareness problem related to a self-centered identity and a negative core belief problem in one or more relationship principles, namely trust, respect, acceptance or commitment.
The argument will deteriorate into abuse when the DMN-procedural [negative bad habit] is activated, resulting in a further loss of impulse control.
Level 2- Discussion
- Focus is on Self [I win] and Others [you loose] It is not personal, but my ideas are better than yours.
- Awareness is on Self [what is my winning point ?] & Others [what is their weakest point]
- Mainly uses TPN in positive mode [self] or TPN negative mode [others].
This is mainly a head problem where the person is overusing their logical brain and under using their heart brain for attachment. If their arguments are illogical, then it is a gut brain problem where their core beliefs are false, yet believed by Self.
Level 3- Dialog
- Focus on Self and Others [both win]
- Awareness is on Self & Others [What is the best solution]
- Mainly uses TPN in positive mode [Self & others]
Here the Head brain [logic], the Gut brain [control] the Heart Brain [cooperation] are aligned, looking for the best solution.
Level 4- Empathy
- Focus mainly on Others, less on Self.
- Awareness mainly on others, less of Self.
- Mainly uses TPN in positive mode [Mainly on Others, less on Self.]
Here the Heart brain [attachment-love] are dominant over the Head brain and Gut brain, focusing on Others needs, not Self. The three brains are aligned.
- Focus is either total focus on Others or no focus on self.
- Awareness is either conscious and totally focused on Others [eg romantic love] or subconscious, but totally focused on others [true love]
- Mainly uses TPN in Neutral [Focus on Others, not on Self.]. Also may use DMN-creative mode [creating new ideas to meet other's needs.]
Here all the brains are aligned, but driven by the Gut brain, where the core belief is "I am committed to this person". This generates love-attachment in the Heart Brain and the Head brain is silent. The response is intuitive.